|Date||28 Jul 2020|
Golden langurs are endangered and are on the World Conservation Union’s Top 25 most endangered primates (Schwitzer et al., 2019). It is found in fragmented forests in Assam, but Bhutan is home to the largest populations. Golden langurs have been recorded in six districts in Bhutan, with a total population of 2,517 individuals (Thinley et al., 2019). A study on golden langur in Royal Manas National Park in southern Bhutan revealed a healthy golden langur population based in part on the large number of immature individuals observed in each group (Lhendup et al., 2018), which indicates population growth assuming protection of suitable habitat. Golden langurs range across three landscape types in Bhutan, each with decreasing levels of protection: National Parks, biological corridors, and unprotected areas. Only 33% of golden langur-suitable habitat falls within National Parks; the other 67% of habitat lies in biological corridors and unprotected areas (Thinley et al., 2019).
These latter two landscape types are exposed to habitat fragmentation and degradation due to construction of roads, dams, power generators, and large complexes of government offices. Golden langurs in unprotected areas often live near farms where issues such as crop feeding and exposure to potential predation by dogs are more likely to occur, or near roads where they encounter vehicle traffic and power lines.
This project will be executed in Langthel sub district in central Bhutan which comprised of a biological corridor connecting Phrumshingla, Jigme Singye Wangchuck, and Royal Manas National Parks; and an unprotected area under the jurisdiction of Zhemgang Forest Division. Data on golden langurs living in biological corridors and unprotected areas are urgently needed, because most golden langurs live in these landscapes, and because development is increasing as Bhutan modernizes. Through intensive sampling, farmer interviews, and spatial analysis, our research will compare these two landscape types and will produce information on golden langurs’ group size and composition, basic ecology, encounters with people, and extirpation risk based on golden langurs’ encounters with people, roads, power lines, dams, and traffic so that Bhutanese policymakers can enact effective conservation plans for this endangered species.
Read about Kuenzang's previous project https://www.rufford.org/projects/kuenzang_dorji_0 or for more information contact:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org /Kuenzang.Dorji@cwu.edu
Website: www.uwice.gov.bt or https://five.epicollect.net/project/golden-langur-monitoring-in-bhutan
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PalDrukpa or https://www.facebook.com/BtNGeOEx/