The Study of Reproduction Ecology of Endangered Endemic Fish Species Sevan Trout
Sevan trout (Salmo ischchan, Kessler) is economically profitable endemic fish species of Lake Sevan, which two ecological races: winter trout (Salmo ischchan ischchan, Kessler) and bojak (Salmo ischchan danilewskii, Iakowlev) are completely eliminated, and the other two races: gegharquni (Salmo ischchan gegarkuni, Kessler) and summer trout (Salmo ischchan aestivalis, Fortunatov) have lost their economic significance and encountered by single individuals. Sevan trout registered in the “Red Book’’ of Armenia. Although, many studies of ecological state of Sevan trout have been implemented till now, but since 80’s there were no studies of trout’s reproduction ecology.
Moreover, due to changes in ecological state of Lake Sevan under the anthropogenic impact the eco-morphological and feeding parameters as well as the size-age structure of Sevan trout have been changed compare with 80’s. This allows making conclusion that Sevan trout’s reproduction ecology probably has been changed as well. Thus, the first step to organize the rational and effective protection of endangered fish species is going to be the study of new reproduction conditions and parameters which will be followed with activities aiming at increase the public awareness in the spawning areas of Sevan trout. For this, the field trips and meetings will be organized as well as the publishing of information letters and bouclets will be done.
The contributions of this work will be:
1. The reproduction ecology – the bio-ecological features of Sevan trout in the period of reproduction migration (quantitative parameters, sex, the stage of maturity of sexual products, length, and mass) will be revealed.
2. The potential (efficiency) of natural reproduction will be revealed.
3. The factors which possibly constraining fish migration will be revealed and based on that the recommendation package for habitat improvement and conservation will be developed and presented to the competent authorities within the meeting-discussion at the end of the program.
4. Rivers Bakhtak and Tsakqar as an environment providing natural reproduction of Sevan trout will be studied for the first time.
5. The necessary bio-conditions for spawning of Sevan trout in studied rivers – water quality, feeding base, hydro-physical and hydro-chemical conditions (ground type, oxygen regime, pH, temperature regime and flow regime) will be revealed.
6. The ecological features of Sevan trout within spawning season will be revealed, which will make us to determine the possibility (effectiveness) of Sevan trout natural reproduction. The results will be compared with the results of previous studies implemented in 80’s and the reproduction ecology of Sevan trout in current conditions will be assessed. The results of this study will make up the data of Sevan trout ecology as well.
7. Scientifically approved recommendation package for elimination of factors constraining spawning of fish in studied areas and habitat improvement will be developed and presented to the competent authorities aimed at providing the long-lasting and natural conservation of Sevan trout spawning areas.
8. The spatial analyzes of gathered data will be done by using GIS technologies for the first time in studies of Sevan trout, which will make us to reveal new geoecological regularities.
9. The public and scientists awareness will be raised due to scientific paper and brochures published as a result of studies. Scientific paper will summarize the previous studies as well and can be the important platform for future studies.
10. The meeting-discussion in the theme of improvement of Sevan trout spawning areas and
conservation of this species will be organized with the participation of all competent authorities (authorities of local settlements, Sevan national park, Gegharkunik regional administration, Ministry of Nature protection, Scientific Center of Zoology and Hydroecology of NAS RA, environmental NGO’s).
For further information contact: